Customer Service (15)

What is a tiered rate structure for residential customers?

Beginning January 1, 2009, SCWD implemented a three-tiered rate structure for all residential customers. The revenue increases provide necessary funds to meet anticipated increases in the wholesale cost of imported water, water system operations including water treatment, operational maintenance costs to meet stringent Federal and State water quality regulations; higher energy costs; and to fund the Capital Improvement Program (CIP).

Efficient water use and avoidance of water waste will save you money. The three-tiered structure charges residential customers for water use in each sequential tier. The first 14 Ccf are charged in tier 1, the next 35 Ccf are charged in tier 2, and any Ccf 50 and above are charged in tier 3.

Office Hours

We are open Monday through Thursday 7:30 am to 5:30 pm, Friday 7:30 am to 4:30 pm with alternate Fridays closed beginning on Friday, November 21, 2008. We are closed weekends and holidays. Observed holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving Day, Friday following Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

When will my meter be read for billing?

We read your meter monthly and bill monthly. Your meter is read within 28-30 days. We read and bill customers in groups based upon geographical location. Also safe access to the meter helps us provide you with accurate meter billing. The water meter is the property of Santa Clarita Water Division and within a public easement. Please  do not construct anything near, over  or around  the meter that would interfere with regular access by Santa Clarita Water Division employee’s. All vegetation must be controlled so as not to obstruct or cover the meter box. Hazardous materials (solvents, oil, paint etc)may not be placed in the meter box as they may contaminate the water.

How do I read my meter?

The meter dial is similar to an odometer on your car. Read your meter from left to right. The numbers represent the hundred cubic feet of water your home has used since the meter was installed. Subtract last month’s read from your current read to calculate your home’s water use for the month. The last two digits are not used in billing. 1Ccf = approximately 748 gallons.

How do I check for a leak?

Make sure there is no water in use anywhere on your property. Check your toilets, clothes washer, hoses and sprinklers outside. Once you have determined water is not being used, check the meter for any movement. If the meter leak indicator is moving, it indicates there is a leak somewhere on your property. You are responsible for any leaks on your property.

When you need our meter turned off

Please call our office at 661-259-2737 if you need the meter turned off in order to repair leaks or other problems. Service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A service representative will be dispatched out  to turn the meter off. Please do not turn off the meter. If you attempt to turn off the meter and cause damage, you will be charged for any necessary repairs. When you are ready to have the meter turned back on, call our office and we will send a representative back out to turn the meter on.

Is there any credit for high bills caused by leaks or broken pipes on my property?

SCWD cannot be responsible for any repairs, maintenance or operation of water systems beyond the meter. If you need arrangements on your bill please contact our Customer Service Department at 661-259-2737 during our hours of operation before your bill is due.

What portion of the water lines is the customer responsible for?

SCWD is responsible for the water line in the street and the pipeline from the water line to our meter. We also maintain our water meter valve, meter box, and meter box lid. The water lines beyond the meter going to your property are your responsibility.

What if I have an emergency after your business hours?

Our answering service is available during our non-business hours for emergencies.

How do I obtain a hydrant meter?

Hydrant meters are temporary devices that attach to a fire hydrant. They are often installed for measuring water use during construction, pool filling, or where a permanent meter has yet to be installed. To apply for a temporary hydrant meter, download and complete the Hydrant meter application form located under the tab labeled “Forms”. Once completed submit the completed application to our office along with your deposit amount for processing.

When is my bill due?

Your bill is due and payable upon date of presentation. It will become past due if not paid within 19 days from the date of mailing.

Can I pay my bill online?

Yes, online payment is available here on our website. Please see payments instructions for all of our payment options.

When is a late charge assessed to my account?

If we have not received your payment by the due date of your Regular Bill you will  have a 7 day grace period if payment not received with in the grace period a $10.00 late charge will be assessed to your account and a Reminder Notice will then be processed and mailed to you.

When is a Termination Penalty assessed to my account?

If payment is not received by the Reminder Notice due date a Termination Notice will then be processed and mailed to you and a $25.00 Termination Penalty will be added to your account.

How do I request to start a water service or cancel service for my home or business?

You can make your requests by phone or in person. We request a 24 hour advance notice for either request and please keep in mind we are closed every other Friday, weekends and holidays.

For after hours service, please call our main number at 661-259-2737 to reach our answering service.

For emergencies, please call 661-259-2737

Conservation (13)

Can both law enforcement and water agencies issue citations for an offence under the regulations?

The infraction citation may be issued be a peace office or an employee of a local agency that is charged with enforcing statutes, regulations, and ordinances pertaining to water use, if the local agency has adopted an ordinance empowering them to do so. SCWD has enacted Ordinance 44.

How can I find my 2013 water use?

You can manage your account online with SCWD’s Customer Connect or call Customer Service at (661) 259-2737.

What’s required of businesses?

  • Restaurants and other food service establishments can only serve water to customers on request.
  • Hotels/Motels must provide guests with the option of not having towels and linens laundered daily.

What water suppliers must do…

  • Impose restrictions on outdoor irrigation
  • Notify customers about leaks that are within the customer’s control
  • Report on water use monthly
  • Report on compliance and enforcement

Will SCWD impose fines for not complying with the water use prohibitions?

First Violation:  Courtesy notification and correct the above violation immediately.

Second Violation:  Written notice of non-compliance and $50 fine per violation.

Third Violation:  Written notice of non-compliance and $100 fine per violation and an increase of $100 for each subsequent violation up to $500 per day.  SCWD may install a flow restrictor at customer’s expense.  (and removal at customer’s expense)

Why is 2013 used as the baseline?

The State has mandated that Water Agencies use 2013 as the baseline.

Who do the prohibitions apply to?

The prohibitions apply to all Californians. The prohibitions against runoff in outdoor landscapes, washing motor vehicles without a shut-off nozzle, hosing down sidewalks and driveways, and running fountains that do not recirculate water are a minimum level of effort that every resident of the State is responsible for.

Who do I report violations of the prohibitions to?

Violations of the individual prohibitions can be reported to SCWD via www.scwater.org.

Is there an exemption to the prohibitions to protect public health and safety?

Yes, the regulations state that the prohibitions apply “except where necessary to address an immediate health and safety need or to comply with a term or condition in a permit issued by a State or federal agency.” The regulations do not include a specific definition of what constitutes an immediate health and safety need, but generally speaking, a health and safety exception should be applied in good faith where a reasonable person would conclude that the application of water is necessary to address public health and safety.  Pressure washing a sidewalk or driveway for aesthetic purposes, for example, would not be a health and safety need.

Do the regulations apply to Investor Owned Utilities that are regulated by California Public Utilities Commission?

Yes, the regulations apply to Investor Owned Utilities in the same manner that they apply to public water agencies. As indicated above, the prohibitions apply to all Californians regardless of their source of water (recycled water excepted).

Who will be held responsible for non-compliance with the prohibitions in rental units?

Just as with a traffic ticket, it is the person that is actually engaging in the prohibited activity.

Are locals prevented from enacting or enforcing water prohibitions that are more stringent than the regulations?

No, the regulations represent a minimum level of effort and everyone is encouraged to do more.

Are public water parks considered a water feature under the individual prohibitions?

No, water parks themselves generally serve a recreational (play) purpose and are not decorative under the new regulation. Given the severity of the current drought, communities should strongly consider turning off water for spray parks and other functional recreational water features that do not recirculate water, however, their use is not strictly prohibited under the regulation.

Pressure Problems (3)

Is your pressure too high or too low?

If the pressure inside your home is too high or low, your pressure regulator may be malfunctioning. This will require an adjustment or internal parts replacement kit to repair your regulator. Kits are available at plumbing hardware repair stores or you may consult your plumber. Regulators should be checked annually for proper operation. It is your responsibility to maintain the pressure regulator.

Is your pressure low in only one area?

If pressure is low in one area, the problem may be a clogged faucet aerator screen. These screens unscrew from the faucet and are designed to filter out sediment. A simple cleaning of the screen usually corrects the problem. Replacement screens are available for a nominal fee at most hardware stores.

Do you live in an older home?

Sometimes plumbing in older homes becomes obstructed with mineral deposits, resulting in low water pressure. Contact your plumber to resolve this issue.